Meizu PRO 5 which runs latest Flyme OS 5.0 might feel too sluggish or too much customizations for a stock user. Most of the time this custom OS consume more RAM & CPU as compared to normal stock OS because of those eye catching customizations over Stock. It might feel smooth in the early days but as you use it you’ll know the performance drop which very common in custom OS devices. You can get rid of those fancy options with rooting. You can install CM ROMs which will double your device’s performance. Why you should Root your device. Although Flyme OS ain’t bad, but it ain’t good too! Keeping all the debate aside, let’s focus on rooting it! In this guide, you’ll learn How to unlock bootloader of Meizu Pro 5, Install TWRP Recovery in Meizu Pro 5 & finally root Meizu Pro 5 in few easy steps.
Also Read: Top 10 Apps for Rooted Android phones
- Backup necessary stuff.
- USB Cable & PC.
- Refer this guide to install ADB and fastboot drivers for Meizu Pro 5.
- Also make sure you have USB debugging enabled in your Meizu Pro 5. For this:
- Go to Settings > About phone, and then tap ‘Build number’ 7 times.
- Go back to Settings, then choose now visible ‘Developer options’.
- Find the ‘USB debugging’ option and use its toggle button to enable it. Accept warning by tapping on OK button.
- Connect your phone to PC now. You will get a pop-up as shown below on your phone when you connect for the first time after enabling USB debugging.
- Minimal ADB & Fastboot Tool.
- TWRP Recovery for Meizu Pro 5: Download | TWRP 3.0. (If in case you want to return to stock recovery, you can download Meizu Pro 5 Stock recovery from here.
- SuperSU.zip file: Download.
How to unlock Bootloader of Meizu Pro 5
Step 1: Make sure you have installed USB drivers properly. Turn the device off and long-press the power and volume-down button simultaneously until your device boots into fastboot mode.
Step 2: Now connect your device to your PC using a USB cable. Launch the Minimal ADB & Fastboot Tool from the desktop icon. (How to Install Minimal ADB & Fastboot Tool). A command window will open up. Now check whether everything is working properly. To check it, enter below command:
Step 3: It should return your device’s code. Now you are all set to unlock your device. To unlock the bootloader, enter below command:
fastboot oem unlock
Step 4: You have successfully unlocked your bootloader.
How to install TWRP Recovery in Meizu Pro 5
Step 1: Transfer the downloaded TWRP recovery image file in the ADB folder.
Step 2: Now to flash the recovery file enter below command in ADB command window:
fastboot flash recovery twrp30.img
Step 3: You have successfully installed TWRP recovery in Meizu Pro 5.
How to Root Meizu Pro 5
Step 1: Follow all the above steps before directly jumping to this part. Without unlocking bootloader & installing TWRP, you can’t root Meizu Pro 5. Now switch off your device. Press & Hold VolumeDown+ Power button simultaneously. This will boot your device into Recovery mode.
Step 2: Transfer the downloaded SuperSU.zip file in your internal memory.
Step 3: Select Install zip file & locate the SuperSU.zip file. Swipe to Install. That’s it. You have successfully rooted your Meizu Pro 5.
Now you have rooted your device, why not checkout Top 10 Apps for rooted Android phones to get things started. You can also install Xposed & tweak your device with Xposed modules. You can now try different custom ROMs & get rid of the fancy OS or Flyme OS.