Lineage OS is the same Cyanogen OS as Cyanongen is officially dead. All Cyanogen services including the nightly builds for all the supported devices, will no longer be supported after 14th Jan 17. Cyanogenmod being the best custom ROM & source of major AOSP based custom ROMs, Cyanogenmod will now be called as “LineageOS”. Finally the wait has been over for Motorola Moto G4/G4 Plus users. They can now taste the all new LineageOS ROM which very stable.
LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project and CyanogenMod with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo.
- ROM OS Version: 7.1.x Nougat
- ROM Kernel: Linux 3.10.x
- Based On: LineageOS (Earlier Cyanogenmod)
- Rooted Motorola Moto G4/G4 Plus
- Install TWRP Recovery: Download
- Check the battery percentage of the phone, it should be at least 40%.
- This ROM is only for Motorola Moto G4/G4 Plus. Please don’t try this on any other smartphones.
- Backup all your data: Contacts, Photos, Apps & other files. (Although you will not lose other files except contacts & Apps, but its better to be on the safer side)
Download LineageOS ROM for Moto G4/G4 Plus:
How to install LineageOS ROM 14.1 on Moto G4/G4 Plus
Step 1. Transfer the downloaded LineageOS & GApps zip, in your G4/G4Plus device.
Step 2. Turn off / Switch your device.
Step 3. Press and hold Volume Down + Power to boot your Moto G4/G4 Plus device into TWRP Recovery mode.
Step 4. Do not forget to perform a nandroid backup. Goto backup option in TWRP and select all the partitions including System, Data, Boot and swipe right to backup.
Step 5. After performing the ROM backup, go back to the TWRP main menu and tap the wipe button.
Step 6. Then, select Advanced Wipe, as well as Dalvik Cache, System, Data, and Cache (Don’t select Internal storage)
Step 7. Next, swipe to confirm. Wait for the wiping process to complete.
Step 8. Next, Goto TWRP main menu & goto Install option.
Step 9. Locate the LineageOS downloaded zip file & tap on it. Now swipe to Install the ROM.
Step 10. Once the installation process is finished successfully, Again Goto TWRP Main menu, Tap on Install & locate the GApps zip file. Swipe to install GApps Package.
Step 11. From recovery select “reboot” and enjoy.
1. Flashlight and Chop Chop gesture doesn’t work
A. Just reboot your phone, it should work fine after a reboot.
2. I have some trouble with SIM detection or VoLTE
A. Be sure to flash the N Firmware & modem before flashing this ROM (with full wipe)
3. Opening stock gallery trigger a soft reboot
A. I can’t share photos in some apps like What’s App
- Remove the directory /sdcard/android/data/com.android.gallery3d and every directory related to gallery
- Remove the directory /sdcard/DCIM/.thumbnails
Reboot Your phone.
- If it’s not enough, maybe you will have to wipe/format your internal storage
4. I have some issues with video recording
A. Everything should work fine, especially with stock Camera (Snap)
Be sure to be on the N firmware.
5. I can’t access my external SD card in CM File Exmplorer
A. Use another app for now until CM Team fixes it. (Motorola Explorer, Solid Explorer, ES File Explorer should do the trick) BTW, no issue with SD Card formatted and encrypted as Internal Storage.
The current ROM is not completely stable to rely on. However its enough to give a taste of LineageOS, although its the same CM 14.1 ROM. In few days, we’ll update the completely stable nightly build with 0 bugs. Make sure you bookmark this page. If you have any questions, comment below.