Huawei has surely become one of the best smartphone manufactures & is now planning to overtake Samsung & Apple in Smartphone industry. Recently they launched the Honor 6X which was called as the “SWAG phone”. The dual camera smartphone gave direct competition to Redmi Note 4. You can read our Honor 6X Review. Buying an Android device means customization. Some people do it by using launchers, while some believe in Rooting their smartphone. If you’re one of those, we’ll guide to Root Honor 6X by unlocking its Bootloader & installing custom TWRP recovery.
Rooting Huawei Honor 6X is pretty easy. Rooting procedure of Honor 6X can be broken down into 3 steps, Unlocking the Bootloader, Installing TWRP Recovery & finally installing SuperSU to gain Root access. Each new step relies on the previous step to have been completed, and a basic summary of each part is:
- Unlocking Bootloader: Opens the door to System files of your device. This allows you to flash images onto the main system partitions of the phone.
- Installing a Custom Recovery: A custom recovery is flashed onto the recovery partition of the device and overwrites the stock recovery that exists by default. Custom recoveries bring lots of functionality and allows you to perform wipes, install flashable zips, create full backups of your NAND (Nandroid backup), and various other features. An unlocked bootloader is needed to install a custom recovery.
- Rooting: You can gain root by either flashing via recovery a pre-rooted custom ROM, or flashing a zip containing the SuperSU binaries. A custom recovery is necessary to do this. You can unroot your Android device in just one click.
After completing these steps Honor 6X will be rooted, the phone will have a custom recovery installed, and the phones bootloader will be unlocked. This, in our opinion, is the most practical and beneficial method of Rooting Huawei Honor 6X. It gives you some basic ADB/fastboot knowledge, and should hopefully help you have a decent understanding of what is going on. Also this method will work regardless of what android version your phone has.
- Install Minimal ADB Fastboot Tool.
- Install ADB Drivers – follow the procedure given in the guide.
- Enable USB Debugging – Go to Settings > About Phone > Tap on Build number 7 times > Return to Settings > Developer Options > USB Debugging.
- Backup all your data from your device as unlocking bootloader erases all the data.
- Charge your device upto 70% to avoid any shutdown during the procedure which might cause some big issue.
- Make sure you’re on EMUI 4.1
- Enable Developer options – On your Honor 6X, go to Settings > About Phone > Tap on the build number 7 times. Now return to settings > Developer options.
- Enable OEM Unlocking – On your phone go to Settings > Developer options. Then enable the ‘OEM Unlocking’ option.
- One click install TWRP Recovery for Honor 6X: Download
- SuperSU zip: Download
How to unlock Bootloader on Honor 6X
Step 1. Register/login on Huawei unlock website. Go to downloads section & select unlock bootloader. (Agree to all the agreements)
Step 2. You’ll find a form as shown below. Fill the form with all your device details:
- Get your serial number from the box or from Settings > About Phone
- Your IMEI will also be listed on the box and the “about” section.
- The product ID can be found by typing *#*#1357946#*#* into your dialer app.
Step 3. After entering all the details, click on “Commit”, you’ll find an unlock code for your device immediately. Save the unlock code, we’ll need it later.
Step 4. Enable USB debugging mode & OEM Unlock in Settings > Developer options.
Step 5. Connect your device to a PC/Laptop, using a USB cable. Launch command.bat file from ADB folder.
Step 6. To boot into Fastboot mode, type the below command in the black window:
adb reboot bootloader
Step 7. Finally, to unlock the bootloader on Honor 6X, type the below command along with the unlock code.
fastboot oem unlock [unlock code]
This will unlock the bootloader on your device & also perform a factory reset.
How to install TWRP Recovery on Honor 6X
Now that you have unlocked the bootloader on your Honor 6X, we need to install TWRP recovery to flash the SuperSU root file. To install TWRP on Honor 6X, follow the below steps:
Step 1. Extract the TWRP folder & connect your Honor 6X to your PC. Launch the .exe File.
Step 2. The language is in Chinese but you can read the recovery option. Click on recovery & it will start the recovery flashing process.
Step 3. Wait until the process is completed.
Step 4. Now restart your device into recovery mode.
How to Root Honor 6X
Step 1. Transfer the downloaded SuperSU root file in your device’s internal storage.
Step 2. Switch off your device and Reboot into TWRP recovery by holding Volume Up and Power key simultaneously.
Step 3. Click on install & locate the SuperSU.zip file from the file manager.
Step 4. Swipe right to confirm installation of SuperSU zip. Wait for the installation to complete.
Step 5. After installation, Click on Wipe Cache/Dalvik to wipe cache partition. Now Reboot your Honor 6X into System.
You have successfully rooted Honor 6X with the latest TWRP Recovery. You can now install various Android apps that require Root access. You can check our list of Top 10 Root apps for Android. If you have rooted your Huawei Honor 6X for installing Xposed framework, you check our guide on installing “Xposed Framework in EMUI .”
If you are confused by anything in this guide, we would highly suggest getting it clarified being before moving on. Ask your question in the comment section and we will get back to you ASAP!