If you are worried about the program Akamai Netsession which is installed in your pc and has been consuming lot of CPU resources even when your PC is idle, while you’re still figuring out what it actually does, then you are also one of the many people who have no idea, What is Akamai Netsession and Akamai Netsession Interface, why is it running on my PC and consuming high Internet bandwidth?
Table of Contents
- 1 Akamai Netsession Interface
- 1.1 Why is it running on your computer?
- 1.2 Whether Akamai Netsession is safe?
- 1.3 Is Akamai Netsession a Virus?
- 1.4 How it got installed on my PC?
- 1.5 How to uninstall Akamai Netsession from my computer?
- 1.6 Does it violate my privacy?
Akamai Netsession Interface
Akamai Technologies is a very popular content delivery network used by large websites and popular software applications like Microsoft Azure, IBM, HP and even NASA uses it. The prime purpose of Akamai is to serve their client’s data by mirroring their content on Akamai servers and reducing the load on client servers. Many web busy companies use Akamai to off-load their hardware work and provide data to the user from the nearest host.
No one likes the low download speed, and Akamai Netsession helps in the same. Basically, Akamai Netsession can be understood simply as a program or an application which is installed on your computer to increase the speed of downloads of company’s data from the internet by using nearest Akamai servers. These downloads files can be of any type like programs, images, media, etc.
For Example, if you run a site like YouTube, you would require lot of storage hardware & best Internet connectivity. If your company is based in New York and you have users browsing your site from Asia, you need to have a local server in Asia to provide fast data delivery. This is what Akamai does, it will provide data to Asia users so you don’t need to install new hardwares in Asia.
While you might be thinking only small companies use this tactics, you’ll be shocked to see the customer list of Akamai Technologies as it includes many big brands like Microsoft, Adobe, Best Buy, American Idol, Audi and many more which can be found here.
Why is it running on your computer?
Besides, Akamai Netsession also allows other users of the NetSession Interface to download pieces of the publisher’s content from your computer. It does this by constantly monitoring your network use, and sending this information to the Akamai Server. The reason for file sharing going on between clients is that those common files (which are downloaded anyway, even if Akamai wasn’t in the background) are always common to a particular web presence – such as fixed banners and company logos.
According to Akamai, “NetSession can also use a small amount of your upload bandwidth to enable other users of the NetSession Interface to download pieces of the publisher’s content from your computer. The NetSession Interface runs in the background and uses a negligible amount of your computer resources or upload bandwidth when you are not actively downloading content.”
In a Nutshell:
- Helps you in fastly downloading the media and program files from the Internet.
- Enables other users of the NetSession Interface to download pieces of the publisher’s content from your pc.
- Keep the downloads safe and secure by ensuring no data is being misused or being manipulated.
Whether Akamai Netsession is safe?
Akamai Netsession doesn’t store or transfer any of your personal data. Only the company files are transferred whenever a user requests any resource from the company. Its main purpose is to be a tool to improve the speed, reliability, and efficiency for downloads and streams. Also, Akamai NetSession Interface only downloads or streams content to you only after you have requested it from your software or media publishers.
While there’s no loss of resources, at some situations users have reported very high CPU and bandwidth usage with over 2-3GB of data being uploaded from their computer. Many of the users are completely unaware of their system is being used as a local host for resources to server some company’s data. Also Akamai does admit “There have been some cases in which a particular busy computer with high bandwidth usage has experienced reduced download performance.”
While installing, Akamai doesn’t ask the user about using the computer as a local host of resources. But there are chances of you using someone else’s computer as a host to get data more quickly. Overall it’s an ecosystem which works on mutual understanding.
So, if Akamai Netsession safe? Yes, it’s safe. But if you’re facing any issues like low Internet speed, high CPU usage or anything else, you can disable the Netsession Interface. But, the softwares of the companies you have been using, might not work as expected and would request you to enable Netsession interface for smooth working. If you want to remove it without breaking anything, look through the list of Akamai customers and check for any publishers you have software from. You must decide whether you like having the program that uses Akamai more or less than not having Akamai’s client.
Is Akamai Netsession a Virus?
No! Akamai Netsession is not a virus or a malware. It is a secure software/program to boost up your media downloads and streams from different platforms.
Keeping it installed in your pc is not going to harm your computer in any way and if you decide to remove it, in that case, also you won’t feel any huge change, other than the slight decrease in download speed. There is no such thing like you have to keep it installed, whenever you like you can remove Akamai Netsession Interface.
How it got installed on my PC?
It is not installed all by itself; it usually comes bound with other software and games. When you installed them, this light program also gets installed.
Where is Netsession Interface and Client installed on my PC?
So if you don’t know where the Interface and client are installed in your pc then you can find them as follows:
- Windows Users – Windows Control Panel > Akamai NetSession Interface Control Panel.
- On Mac OS X – Other > Akamai on the System Preferences pane.
How to uninstall Akamai Netsession from my computer?
Akamai NetSession Interface is a shared network library that may be used by multiple applications. In order to uninstall the Interface, you need to uninstall all the applications using it. Other applications may not perform correctly if they look for but do not find the NetSession Interface.
Method 1: Via Control Panel
- In the Windows Control Panel, run Add or Remove Programs.
- Select Akamai NetSession Interface
- Click Change/Remove, then click Yes to confirm your choice.
Method 2: Via Command Prompt
- Open Command Prompt from the Start menu,
- Go to the NetSession installation folder.
- On Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Akamai
- On Windows Vista, Windows 7 & above: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Akama
- Type the command – admintool.exe uninstall -force
- Press the Enter key, and you have successfully uninstalled the Akamai Netsession Interface.
On Mac OS
- Use the Finder to go to the NetSession Interface installation folder, which is normally ~/Applications/Akamai/,
- Double-click the uninstaller app and confirm your decision.
- In the Application -> utility folder, double-left-click Terminal.
- Go to the Akamai NetSession Interface installation folder which is normally ~/Applications/Akamai/.
- Type the command – ./admintool uninstall -force
- Press the Enter Key and you are done.
Does it violate my privacy?
No way, It is not for this purpose. This tool is to improve the speed and efficiency of downloads not to gather and transmit your personal information. So Relax, this tool is not going to violates any of your privacy rules.
The entire data transfer is been taken care by Akamai without violating your privacy or intruding on your computing. Upstream sources (hosts) are only those systems which are idle or utilizing minimal network resources which ensures your Internet speed doesn’t slow down while using it.
So, This is all about Akamai Netsession and why it is running on your pc. If you still have any doubts related to this, feel free to use the comment section. We will try to resolve it as soon as possible. And If you give this post a share, it would be a great help for us to grow this site.