Back last month, there were reports that TWRP, the open-source recovery project was preparing to allow full Nandroid backups directly to PC. Now, TWRP v3.1.0 comes with full support for Nandroid backups directly to PC among many other new features.
The full Nandroid backup directly to PC means that whenever a user is connected to PC and takes a TWRP Nandroid backup then the backup gets directly backed up to the PC without storing any portion of the data on the phone. This feature comes in very handy when the user wants to take a backup before flashing any new rom but doesn’t have storage capacity to do the backup on the phone. TWRP v3.1.0 also comes with more features other than Nandroid backup to PCs like support foralpha/beta OTA update zipsin the recovery. This feature is only available for Pixel and the Pixel XL phones which are the only phones to have A/B partition for faster updates.
The TWRP v3.1.0 also fixes a bug with the direct boot feature where whenever a user tried to backup/restore any particular application then all the data from the application gets wiped. The other notable change in this update is that the TWRP v3.1.0 will now prompt users to install the official TWRP app from the Play Store. The official TWRP app is very useful to keep the TWRP version up-to-date with features like directly flashing recovery from the app among many others.
TWRP v3.1.0’s full update changelog is here:
- vold decrypt on a few select HTC devices, TWRP will now attempt to use the system partition’s vold and vdc binaries and libraries to decrypt the data partition (nkk71 and CaptainThrowback)
- adb backup to stream a backup directly to or from your PC, see documentation here: (github link)
- tweak MTP startup routines (mdmower)
- support new Android 7.x xattrs for backup and restore to fix loss of data after a restore (Dees_Troy)
- support POSIX file capabilities backup and restore to fix VoLTE on HTC devices and possibly other issues (Dees_Troy)
- better indicate to users that internal storage is not backed up (Dees_Troy)
- improve automatic determination of TW_THEME (mdmower)
- minimal getcap and setcap support (_that)
- try mounting both ext4 and f2fs during decrypt (jcadduono and Dees_Troy)
- shut off backlight with power key (mdmower)
- timeout during FDE decrypt (Dees_Troy and nkk71)
- support for FBE decrypt and backing up and restoring FBE policies (Dees_Troy)
- boot slot support (Dees_Troy)
- TWRP app install prompt during reboot (Dees_Troy)
- support for AB OTA zips (Dees_Troy)
- support new Android 7.x log command (Dees_Troy)
- update recovery sources to AOSP 7.1 (Dees_Troy)
- numerous bugfixes and improvements by too many people to mention
One thing to note is that the team at TWRP consists of part-time developers who also have a regular job and they take time whenever possible to release new versions of TWRP. Stay tuned as we know more about further progress on TWRP.