CM 14 for Nexus 5: The legendary Nexus 5 which has hardware that can run any Android version has got it’s hold on Android Nougat. When Android 7.0 Nougat officially dropped on Monday for Nexus devices, a few were missing from the list. Nexus 5 were officially out of the running for an official Nougat update from Google, although they will likely still receive monthly security patches for a while. Hammerhead owners stuck on Android 6.0 Marshmallow didn’t have to wait long for somebody to do what Google wouldn’t, of course. Thanks to Santhosh M who has come up with almost stable Cyanogenmod 14 (CM 14) ROM for Google Nexus 5.
As the ROM is an unofficial build, we would not suggest you to use it as your daily driver. There’s no such official news from Cyanogenmod for any Official CM 14 release for the Nexus 5; but who cares when you have such great developers.
- Status: Stable
- ROM OS Version: 7.x Nougat
- ROM Kernel: Linux 3.4.x
- And almost everything that you ask from a custom ROM.
Also Read: Download & install MIUI 8 for Google Nexus 5
- Root & Install Latest TWRP in Nexus 5 device.(Download Goomanger App & select Nexus 5 from the list to install TWRP recovery in Nexus 5)
- Check the battery percentage of the phone, it should be at least 40%.
- This ROM is only for Google Nexus 5 (hammerhead). Please don’t try this on any other smartphones.
- Backup all your data in your PC directly using flashfire: Contacts, Photos, Apps & other files. (Although you will not lose other files except contacts & Apps, but its better to be on the safer side)
- To backup all your Apps, use Titanium Backup so that you can restore them later.
How to install CM 14 in Google Nexus 5 (hammerhead)
Step 1. Transfer the downloaded AOSP ROM & GApps zip in Nexus 5 & Turn off / Switch off your device.
Step 2. To boot into TWRP recovery press & hold volume down and power button. Press the volume down button until it shows “Recovery mode” & press Power button to select.
Step 3. Do not forget to perform a nandroid backup, Goto backup option in TWRP and select all the partitions including System, Data, Boot, Recovery and swipe right to backup.
Step 4. After performing the ROM backup, go back to the TWRP main menu and tap the wipe button.
Step 5. Then, select Advanced Wipe, as well as Dalvik Cache, System, Data, and Cache (Don’t select Internal storage)
Step 6. Next, swipe to confirm. Wait for the wiping process to complete.
Step 7. Next, Goto TWRP main menu & goto Install option. Locate the ROM file & tap on it. Now swipe to Install the ROM.
Step 8. Once the installation process is finished successfully, Again Goto TWRP Main menu, Tap on Install & locate the GApps zip file. Swipe to install GApps Package.
Step 9. From recovery select “reboot”. First boot might take 4-5mins, so don’t panic.
Download Cyanogenmod 14 (Android Nougat 7.0) ROM for Nexus 5
- CM 14 ROM for Nexus 5 (hammerhead): Download (Source)
- Google Apps package: Download (Android 7.0 > ARM > Micro+)
The Nexus 5 is still a pretty great phone, even compared to modern flagships, and will likely end up kept alive for quite some time by the development community. Even though the ROM is completely stable & smooth, you might come accross some bugs which are not mentioned. You can report those bugs on the forum page of the ROM.